Orocos RTT and OCL 1.12.0 Released
|Submitted by peter on Thu, 2010-10-07 15:36|
Some might have lost a bet today, but here's the next major RTT/OCL 1.x release. It's an important release for all those dreaming of upgrading to the 2.0 mainline. Upgrading to 1.12 brings you one step closer to 2.0. This is due to the backporting of the component and plugin loading framework of the 2.0 mainline to the 1.12 release. There are some caveats as usual, but some nice features as well. Especially Windows users will be happy to hear that dynamic component and plugin loading is now also supported on that platform. Also some convenience functions for XML marshalling ('marshalling.storeProperties') and Corba server creation ('corbaComponent') during deployment have been added.
You can find all the details as you dig into the release notes below.
The Orocos Real-Time Toolkit v1.12.0.
The Orocos development team is pleased to announce the first release of the Real-Time Toolkit v1.12, a C++ toolkit for building component based, real-time robotics and machine control applications.
This release contains backports of the RTT 2.0.x releases in order to give users access to the latest features and also to provide a smoother upgrade path from RTT 1.x to 2.x.
This release is backwards compatible with all 1.x.y releases, although some functionality has been deprecated or alternative usage patterns are preferred. These and other changes and improvements can be found in the Orocos RTT Changes document on
These are the major highlights:
- Plugin and component loading are now identical as in 2.x, which means,
- support for dynamic applications on Windows
- support for locating and loading toolkits
- support for the RTT_COMPONENT_PATH environment variable
- Many portability fixes, allowing builds on native Windows
- Memory and bookkeeping cleanups in CORBA transport
- Improved marshalling api for fast saving of XML files ('storeProperties')
- Many bugfixes that could not make it in the 1.10 release.
You can download this release from http://www.orocos.org/stable/rtt/v1.12.0/orocos-rtt-1.12.0-src.tar.bz2 and read the installation instructions on http://www.orocos.org/stable/documentation/rtt/v1.12.x/doc-xml/orocos-installation.html
Upgrade instructions for swithing from the 1.x to the 2.x releases can be found here: http://www.orocos.org/wiki/Upgrading_from_RTT_1.x_to_2.0
Orocos Components Library (OCL) v1.12.0
This major release of the Orocos Components Library is aimed at the Real-Time Toolkit v1.12.x. Major changes are:
- Component loading 2.0-style
- Component Deployment and TaskBrowsing on Windows / win32 target
- Various usability fixes in (CORBA) deployment
An overview of the documented components is available here: http://www.orocos.org/stable/documentation/ocl/v1.12.x/doc-xml/ocl-overview.html
This release can be downloaded here: http://www.orocos.org/stable/ocl/v1.12.0/orocos-ocl-1.12.0-src.tar.bz2