Real-Time Toolkit 1.10.2 Released

It's a month since last release, and the RTT deserved another one. Thanks to all of you for reporting bugs and providing fixes. Read on below for the release notes and the noteworthy changes. Upgrading is recommended.

The Orocos development team is pleased to announce the second bug fix release of the Real-Time Toolkit v1.10, a C++ toolkit for building component based, real-time robotics and machine control applications.

As an exception, Win32 users are advised to recompile all components if they used the win32 fosi layer directly (calls to sleep and usleep).

You can download this release from http://www.orocos.org/stable/rtt/v1.10.2/orocos-rtt-1.10.2-src.tar.bz2 and read the installation instructions on http://www.orocos.org/stable/documentation/rtt/v1.10.x/doc-xml/orocos-installation.html

Most prominent fixes are:

• Fix bug #734: Removed allocation when copying variable sized objects in scripting
  • Many fixes for compiling with mingw on win32
  • Fix bug #731: wrong mTaskState handling for children in RTT::ExecutionEngine::startContexts()
  • Fixes in detecting installed boost libraries
  • Fix crash when terminating threads on win32
  • provide --help option for unit tests.
  • scripting: Fix parse error (missing ')') in function foo() definitions
  • Force CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo if not set by user
  • Overall fixes in operator= during self-assignment
  • Fix bug #726: state machine crashes when calling stop() in transition check
  • Many fixes for various TAO/Omniorb build configurations on different platforms
  • Give the default activity the name of its TaskContext

[ANNOUNCE] Real-Time Toolkit 1.10.2 Released

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 22:55, Peter Soetens <peter [..] ...> wrote:
> It's a month since last release, and the RTT deserved another one.
> Thanks to all of you for reporting bugs and providing fixes. Read on
> below for the release notes and the noteworthy changes. Upgrading is
> recommended.
>
> Peter
>
> The Orocos development team is pleased to announce the second bug fix
> release of the Real-Time Toolkit v1.10, a C++ toolkit for building
> component based, real-time robotics and machine control applications.
>
> As an exception, Win32 users are advised to recompile all components
> if they used
> the win32 fosi layer directly (calls to sleep and usleep).

As reported in the -dev list, a last minute bug(fix) slipped into
fosi.cpp on win32 platforms. You'll have to edit src/os/win32/fosi.cpp
to change
unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds)
to
unsigned int sleep(unsigned int s)

Or you could check out the rtt-1.10 svn branch, which already includes this fix.

Peter

Real-Time Toolkit 1.10.2 MinGW build feedback

Hi Peter,

today I checked out the RTT 1.10.2 from SVN to test it on Windows with MinGW compiler. I stumbled across some build issues and would like to give you some feedback (build environent: GCC 4.4, boost 1.40, CMake 2.8):

- building the RTT DLL works fine and without any problems
- building test was not possible first because the CMake variable BUILD_TESTING was not present and I had to add it manually during CMake configuration - was this your intention or is it missing by mistake?
- after I added BUILD_TESTING I could build all tests but running the tests via mingw32-make check is not possible - it produces the following output:

[ 81%] Built target orocos-rtt-dynamic_win32
[ 84%] Built target task-test
[ 86%] Built target main-test
[ 87%] Built target program-test
[ 87%] Built target state-test
[ 90%] Built target parser-test
[ 92%] Built target core-test
[ 93%] Built target event-test
[ 96%] Built target taskcontext-test
[ 98%] Built target dev-test
[100%] Built target list-test
UpdateCTestConfiguration from :C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests/DartConfiguration.tcl
UpdateCTestConfiguration from :C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests/DartConfiguration.tcl
Test project C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests
Constructing a list of tests
Checking test dependency graph...
No tests were found!!!
[100%] Built target check

With RTT 1.10.1 I could run all tests via mingw32-make - did I missed a change with RTT 1.10.2?
I started all tests manually and sucessfully passed all tests except of parser-test.exe. This test still fails with segmentation fault. I tested the build also with GCC 3.4 and boost 1.36 and the test parser-test.exe also fails - so it does not seem to be related to a certain GCC or boost version.

Uwe

Hi Peter,

today I checked out the RTT 1.10.2 from SVN to test it on Windows with MinGW compiler. I stumbled across some build issues and would like to give you some feedback (build environent: GCC 4.4, boost 1.40, CMake 2.8):

- building the RTT DLL works fine and without any problems - building test was not possible first because the CMake variable BUILD_TESTING was not present and I had to add it manually during CMake configuration - was this your intention or is it missing by mistake? - after I added BUILD_TESTING I could build all tests but running the tests via mingw32-make check is not possible - it produces the following output:

[ 81%] Built target orocos-rtt-dynamic_win32 [ 84%] Built target task-test [ 86%] Built target main-test [ 87%] Built target program-test [ 87%] Built target state-test [ 90%] Built target parser-test [ 92%] Built target core-test [ 93%] Built target event-test [ 96%] Built target taskcontext-test [ 98%] Built target dev-test [100%] Built target list-test UpdateCTestConfiguration from :C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests/DartConfiguration.tcl UpdateCTestConfiguration from :C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests/DartConfiguration.tcl Test project C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests Constructing a list of tests Checking test dependency graph... No tests were found!!! [100%] Built target check

With RTT 1.10.1 I could run all tests via mingw32-make - did I missed a change with RTT 1.10.2? I started all tests manually and sucessfully passed all tests except of parser-test.exe. This test still fails with segmentation fault. I tested the build also with GCC 3.4 and boost 1.36 and the test parser-test.exe also fails - so it does not seem to be related to a certain GCC or boost version.

Uwe

On Nov 21, 2009, at 13:06 , uwe_kindler [..] ... wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> today I checked out the RTT 1.10.2 from SVN to test it on Windows with MinGW compiler. I stumbled across some build issues and would like to give you some feedback (build environent: GCC 4.4, boost 1.40, CMake 2.8):
>
> - building the RTT DLL works fine and without any problems
> - building test was not possible first because the CMake variable BUILD_TESTING was not present and I had to add it manually during CMake configuration - was this your intention or is it missing by mistake?
> - after I added BUILD_TESTING I could build all tests but running the tests via mingw32-make check is not possible - it produces the following output:
>
> [ 81%] Built target orocos-rtt-dynamic_win32
> [ 84%] Built target task-test
> [ 86%] Built target main-test
> [ 87%] Built target program-test
> [ 87%] Built target state-test
> [ 90%] Built target parser-test
> [ 92%] Built target core-test
> [ 93%] Built target event-test
> [ 96%] Built target taskcontext-test
> [ 98%] Built target dev-test
> [100%] Built target list-test
> UpdateCTestConfiguration from :C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests/DartConfiguration.tcl
> UpdateCTestConfiguration from :C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests/DartConfiguration.tcl
> Test project C:/CodingXP/Sources & Projects/orocos/orocos-rtt-build-1.10.2/tests
> Constructing a list of tests
> Checking test dependency graph...
> No tests were found!!!
> [100%] Built target check
>
> With RTT 1.10.1 I could run all tests via mingw32-make - did I missed a change with RTT 1.10.2?
> I started all tests manually and sucessfully passed all tests except of parser-test.exe. This test still fails with segmentation fault. I tested the build also with GCC 3.4 and boost 1.36 and the test parser-test.exe also fails - so it does not seem to be related to a certain GCC or boost version.

Try "make test" instead. With recent patches allowing use of CTest, we've partially reverted to the standard CMake/CTest way of doing things. I did put in a patch for the BUILD_TESTING bit, but it might not have made it into this release. "BUILD_TESTING" is what CMake uses by default, and the patch IIRC set that based on our ENABLE_TESTS ("BUILD_TESTS"?) setting.

Also, this is all different amongst RTT, KDL, BFL and OCL. We definitely need to standardize this at some point ...
Stephen