RTT and OCL 2.0.0-beta2 Released
|Submitted by peter on Fri, 2010-04-02 09:36|
It's called beta, but it's closer to release candidate than its name
suggests. This preview release of RTT 2.0 is capable of doing anything
you could do in 1.x, but only better, faster and cheaper. We're very
close to a feature freeze at this point in time and focus on the
testing and taking the latest user feedback into account. The main
focus of this release was to get CORBA transport up and running. It
needs polishing, but you can taskbrowse corba-deployed components.
For the latest information, check out the 2.0.0-beta2 wiki page:
It links to a bunch of useful sub-pages concerning what changed and how users
Where to find it ?
There are tar balls and online docs available in the devel section of the
server kindly provided by the University of Leuven:
The exercises of beta1 still apply (1.99.1):
Other official code resources for 2.0 are my git repositories on github: rtt-
examples, orocos-rtt and orocos-ocl. Check out the ocl-2.0-mainline and
rtt-2.0-mainline code. I will not host 2.0 in an SVN repository.
What's not in here ?
See the caveats section on the wiki. Attention is now going to easy typekit
generation and plugin loading.
What will this release allow you to do ?
- Test porting effort to the RTT 2.0 C++ and CORBA API.
We have created scripts for converting application code to the 2.0 API,
regarding the C++ part.
- Test RTT 2.0 on your distribution/target.
A lot of code changed, not all compilers or operating systems could be tested.
Now is the time to see if 2.0 *at least compiles* on your system.
Requires cmake 2.6-patch3 to build or later.
What can you do to help ?
- Test the conversion scripts and update the wiki or scripts if you find
- Update wiki pages, installation notes etc if you encounter inconsistencies.
- Send patches against this codebase, preferably using a git repository.
- Provide feedback on documentation or API changes.
Are we there yet ?
There's need for more testing and user feedback before we can make it
to a final release. I'm trying to postpone feature additions after
2.0.0 such that we can release as early as possible. A new release
will follow around end of April, that could qualify as release