Compiling KDL in visual studio 2008

Hello,

I am new in KDL. I am trying to compile the KDL in visual studio 2008. But I could not find the instructions on how to do it.

I searched in this forum and did find someone mentioned:"I followed all the procedure explained in the webpage". I could not find this page.

can some body give me a help? Thanks.

Leo Ma

Hi,

> I am new in KDL. I am trying to compile the KDL in visual studio 2008. But I
> could not find the instructions on how to do it.

You need to generate the Visual Studio Solution file using CMake. In the folder "orocos_kdl", create a subfolder "build" and run "cmake-gui .." within this folder. The CMake GUI should offer you some support to generate the SLN file.

However, the last version of KDL I used (two weeks ago directly from git) had a small bug, which made it unusable on Windows without a small change. By default, KDL is compiled as a shared library. However, the KDL source files lack the proper attributes at the classes marking them as exportable (some __dllspec). Without this attribute, the generated DLL does not offer any classes/methods. I solved this by modifying orocos_kdl\src\CMakeLists.txt in line 7, changing SHARED to STATIC and thus building KDL as static library.

Michael

I did have both eigen2 and eigen3 on my computer. How could I let cmake know the position of eigen? Thanks.

I tried. The operating system of my computer is windows 7 64 bits. After I tried to configure to visual studio 9.0 2008 win64, I got the following errors. It looks like I need to modified the CMakeLists.txt to specify the position of Eigen?

Check for working C compiler: cl Check for working C compiler: cl -- works Detecting C compiler ABI info Detecting C compiler ABI info - done Check for working CXX compiler: cl Check for working CXX compiler: cl -- works Detecting CXX compiler ABI info Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done Orocos KDL version (1.1.99) Setting build type to 'Release' CMake Error at config/FindEigen3.cmake:6 (MESSAGE): -- Looking for Eigen3 - not found Call Stack (most recent call first): CMakeLists.txt:48 (include) Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

doogoofeng's picture

Re:

LeoMa wrote:
I tried. The operating system of my computer is windows 7 64 bits. After I tried to configure to visual studio 9.0 2008 win64, I got the following errors. It looks like I need to modified the CMakeLists.txt to specify the position of Eigen?

Check for working C compiler: cl Check for working C compiler: cl -- works Detecting C compiler ABI info Detecting C compiler ABI info - done Check for working CXX compiler: cl Check for working CXX compiler: cl -- works Detecting CXX compiler ABI info Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done Orocos KDL version (1.1.99) Setting build type to 'Release' CMake Error at config/FindEigen3.cmake:6 (MESSAGE): -- Looking for Eigen3 - not found Call Stack (most recent call first): CMakeLists.txt:48 (include) Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Hi,all.I wondering if you had solved this problem and how did you make it? For I met the same problem.

Doogoo

Thanks a lot. I will try that.

Leo

Ruben Smits's picture

Hi Leonard,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM, <leonard [dot] kdl [..] ...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new in KDL. I am trying to compile the KDL in visual studio 2008. But
> I
> could not find the instructions on how to do it.
>
>
KDL uses cmake as a build system, so I think following any tutorial that
explains how to build cmake projects with Visual Studio would be a good
starting point.

> I searched in this forum and did find someone mentioned:"I followed all the
> procedure explained in the webpage". I could not find this page.
>
>
Could you provide a link to that forum-topic?

> can some body give me a help? Thanks.
>
>
Ruben

> Leo Ma
> --
> Orocos-Users mailing list
> Orocos-Users [..] ...
> http://lists.mech.kuleuven.be/mailman/listinfo/orocos-users
>

"Could you provide a link to that forum-topic?"